Hey there friends:) Today we are tackling one of the most underrated topics in parenthood…..sleep. Sleep is crucial for a healthy brain and a healthy body. Yet so many kids and adults struggle with it. When kids are tired they are more likely to act out. I am sure you are all familiar with this:) Here is a list to help your kiddos get a good nights rest.
- Determine a bed time and stick to it!
- Make sure your kids get enough physical exercise during the day-this includes play time (2-5 hours depending on age)
- Dim lights and sounds if possible
- Read or tell a story right before bed
- Limit screen time in the evening
- Offer a small snack and water if your child is prone to getting up during the night
- Avoid sugary and caffeinated drinks at dinner
- Give extra cuddles
- Set bedtime boundaries-When is it okay for your child to get up during the night?
- Create a routine
Hopefully this gives you a few new ideas to help your kids sleep better. Routines take time and patience so try not to be discouraged if it doesn’t work at first. Also, if your kids are getting up several times a night mention it to their pediatrician. Sometimes anxiety and diet can contribute to kids not sleeping well. Happy sleeping!