Let’s be real…parenting can be very hard and sometimes stressful. Juggling work, family, chores, cooking and whatever else is on your plate can be overwhelming. You need time to catch your breath and renew your mind. Here are a few ways to take a step back and refocus your attention on what really matters…your family.
- Wake up a few minutes earlier than normal. Take some time to read, breathe, or exercise. This will help you start your day off on the right foot!
- Plan a time to play with your kids every day. Whether it is five minutes or an hour, playing with your kids will strengthen your bond and allow you to “unplug” from the daily demands of your world.
- Make a daily to-do list. This can be for you and your kids. Distributing chores and tasks will help your kids learn about responsibility and teamwork. It will also take pressure off of you to get everything done yourself. Check out our previous blogs about age appropriate chores to get some good ideas!
- Call, email, text, or meet a friend/family member. Having positive social connections outside of your immediate family will allow you to seek advice and ideas from people who truly care about you and your kids.
- Develop positive self-talk. If we want our kids to have a positive self-image when they are older, it has to start with us now. Get rid of phrases like “I can’t do this” and “no matter how hard I try, I keep failing.” Start saying things like “I am enough” and “I will try my best.” Remember, your kids learn from you every moment you are around them. Let them learn about having a positive self-image not a negative one.
No matter what the world may tell you, you are enough and you are here for a reason. When life gets messy and you can barely keep your head afloat, keep your eyes on the main goal: loving and raising your children well. You can do this!